PDA

View Full Version : Cercis occidentalis

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Date: 05/21/00
Time: 07:48 PM

Primary Question:

Does anyone know of a place where 100 or more trees of Cercis occidentalis grow on one to several acres of land that flower annually?

Secondary Questions:

Is this a climax plant anywhere in its distribution? If so, where? Do nurseries now supply this species as an "ornimental"? If so, which nurseries can be contacted regarding methods for propagation? Is there any literature available that I should be reading regarding this plant, or are there individuals who should be contacted?

Thank you for any help or advise offered.

Phil Torchio

Anonymous
Date: 06/24/00
Time: 02:46 AM

I don't know of any nurseries that are propagating Cercis occidentalis at the moment, but if you are willing to grow your own from seed, I recommend that you contact Sheffield's seeds. I checked and they don't currently have any seeds of that variety in stock, but it is on their list of regular offerings. They have helped me to obtain hard to find seeds in the past, I recommend that you visit their website at www.Sheffields.com and maybe e-mail them with your request.

Anonymous
Date: 06/23/01
Time: 11:04 AM

Phil, Cercis occidentalis is not a dominant plant anywhere that I know of; however, it can be common in the foothills of the Inner North Coast Ranges, such as in Lake County and the Sierra Nevada. This last April it was in full bloom in Lake County and was quite spectacular. The seeds should be still on some of the plants and can be grown easily yourself. Simply scarify the seed coat (knick the seed coat with a knife or file) and plant it is moist soil in a warm location. Many nurseries sell it as an ornamental. Green Thumb Nursery in southern California carries it. Matilija Nursery in Moorpark also carries it. Matilija Nursery grows exclusively native plants. I am sure many of the native plant nurseries throughout the state carry it also.