PDA

View Full Version : California State Stamp

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Date: 01/20/00
Time: 08:19 AM

Have you seen a picture of the upcoming California State U.S.Postage stamp? It is a lovely picture of Monterey and in the foreground, grabbing most of the attention is a large cluster of non-native (I'm pretty sure) iceplant. I don't know who to contact to make my displeasure known.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:20 PM
From: melanie anaston, melanie.anaston@smithandhawken.com
Date: 02/03/00
Time: 10:47 AM

I know there is a 'Creative Director' with the USPS who oversees the designs of all the stamps. I can't remember his name. You could contact the USPS through information or find their web site. I think it would be important to have this in the media so that Californians know it's not a native. Ice plant is so prevalent that everyone just assumes it is. Maybe there's a journalist at one of the newspapers who covers such topics in the local part of the paper such as the "Bay Area" section or the "California" section.

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Date: 02/04/00
Time: 09:01 AM

Enid is right - there are NO native iceplants in California. We have succulents, like Dudleya and sedum, but no iceplants.

At one time, some botanists believed that Carpobrotus chilense was native. James Roof even praised it, and vilified its close relative, C. edulis. Evidence is mounting that C. chilense arrived in Chile via South Africa, and eventually hitchhiked to the coast of California (on ships?).

There was a good article in Fremontia within the last couple of years about this. I'll post the volume No. as soon as I can locate the issue.

I would urge Melanie to contact the Postal Service about the implicit misinformation contained on that postage stamp. Wild California is not about iceplant! In some cases it toxifies the surrounding soil and kills neighboring plants. I think it does this by concentrating and then releasing salts. Botanist Teresa Sholars has even speculated that iceplant sometimes poisons itself!

The Postal Service needs to know that volunteers and agency employees spend a great deal of time and money trying to remove iceplants in wild coastal areas - Carpobrotus, Mesembryanthemum, whatever.

We coastal weed fighters appreciate being alerted to this issue!

...Lori Hubbart, DKY Chapter

Anonymous
06-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Date: 04/19/01
Time: 04:05 PM

Regarding forms of ice plant, both the Calif Dept of Fish and Game (DFG) and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) have issued strongly worded memos to state and fed agencies AGAINST planting any form of ice plant (or other noxious or invasive plant). Both agencies have recommended plant lists which include mostly natives and in some cases, benign ornamentals. But overall they advocate use of native plants. The problem is they have little enforcement to make agencies use their listed recommendations. They have to educate public agencies and local governments about use of natives.

Anonymous
Date: 02/10/00
Time: 01:05 PM

I sent an email to the US Post Office and this was there response:

From: RODOLFO COLLADO [mailto:RCOLLAD1@email.usps.gov] Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 9:38 AM To: cburrasc Subject: Re: CA Statehood Stamp

We have a Citizen Stamps Committee (non-postal personnel) who select all new stamps that we issue each year.

The Citizen Stamps Committee address is: 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4474E Washington DC 20260-2437

Thank you for your inquiry

Rodolfo Collado Customer Service Stampsonline

Anonymous
Date: 04/19/01
Time: 04:07 PM

Thanks for the Citizens Committee address. I will write them and include copies of fed and state memos given to Calif agencies instructing the use of natives.