PDA

View Full Version : looking for native trees for open sun

Anonymous
05-07-2004, 09:15 AM
I would like to plant a native tree in my front yard in Marin County.
It would be in open sun. Ideally, it would be fast-growing and provide shade in the summer.

Can anyone point me to a resource and/or nursery with information (and examples) of what tree to get?

Thanks,
Thomas

ireneh
05-22-2004, 07:44 PM
You might try a Sycamore, Big Leaf Maple, or Alder if your front yard gets regular water, or a Flowering Ash, Chitalpa, or Catalina ironwood if it does not.

Jessica
06-13-2004, 09:47 PM
For Thomas, who was looking for a native tree for a sunny site:

How about blue elderberry? Sambucus mexicana is a wonderful, fast-growing tree with fragrant flowers and bird-attracting fruits. It often blooms and fruits twice a year, too.

...Lori Hubbart

Jessica
06-13-2004, 09:47 PM

How about blue elderberry? Sambucus mexicana is a wonderful, fast-growing tree with fragrant flowers and bird-attracting fruits. It often blooms and fruits twice a year, too.

...Lori Hubbart

Jessica
06-13-2004, 09:49 PM

...Lori Hubbart

cgscott
06-22-2004, 12:42 PM
I second (third, fourth, fifth) Lori's suggestion. Blue Elderberry is fast growing, shade-giving in summer, a favorite of birds, and amenable to pruning. Left to itself, it is usually a multi-trunked small tree. You can prune it to be a single or dual trunked tall tree up to 20'. I've seen one in the east hills of San Jose with a trunk the size of an oak.

mikefox
06-23-2004, 10:37 PM
I have a big leaf maple in my front yard in Benicia, adjacent to a small lawn. It is quite tall now (30') after ten years. The only draw back is that is does have some large surface roots. I planted a blue oak a few years later in the back yard, adjacent to a lawn. Its about 20' tall. Both trees have a golden yellow color in the fall.