PDA

View Full Version : Attractive Shrub for Sheltered Shade?

carrollboone
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm in Sunset Zone 15 & am looking for suggestions for a good-looking shrub for an ~5' x 5' sheltered & shaded spot (not dark, but no direct sunlight) by our front door. The spot is next to some low-growing Oregon Grapes (Berberis aquifolium compacta).

Would Bush Anemone (Carpenteria californica) be a good choice? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

cgscott
03-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Have you considered Ceanothus thyrsiflorus? Looks gorgeous around this time of year, and can handle bright shade.

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus? How interesting! I would not have thought of them for this situation. The ones I have seen growing (Yerba Buena or wild) have been very large, really more like trees than shrubs. I do need something that is fairly upright for my spot, but will need it to stay (or be easy to maintain) at no more than 5 feet tall. Do you know if there is a form of Ceanothus thyrsiflorus like that?

Thanks for your response!
Elsa

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 11:01 PM
See this from laspilitas.com about the Skylark cultivar:

"A California native lilac cultivar that possesses much darker leaves than any other individuals of this species that we have observed. A very formal California native, wonderful for a small border hedge. The bright blue flowers on the deep green foliage looks edible(actually makes a decent tea...). One of the smallest of the native lilacs. Easily held to three feet by three feet. It should do well where Ceanothus thyrsiflorus does well. A California native to be tried along the east coast within sight of the ocean on the bluffs as it is in the wild on the west coast. Very garden tolerant. This one is hardy to 5 degrees F. but will show burn at 10-15 degrees F."

carrollboone
03-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Beautiful plant! Thanks for the information.