PDA

View Full Version : Deer Grass Cleanup

Anonymous
02-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Anybody have experience with spiffing up mature deer grass (Muhlenbergia rigens) clumps? I have several in a native plant landscape that have gotten large and contain quite a bit of dead material. Using a stiff metal rake I am able to "comb out" a lot, but much remains. I'm considering subjecting one to a mini "controlled burn" to see how it comes out, hoping that much of the dead organic stuff would burn off without killing the plant. Thoughts & suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Bob Hansen

ireneh
02-11-2004, 11:22 AM
We usually give Muhlies a severe "crew-cut" once a year to keep them looking fresh. I cut them after their flower stalks start becoming a little ratty, and only leave 1-2". If it is a wide clump, sometimes I will divide off outer sections to reduce width and give me plants for other areas. Hope this helps.

Steven Goetz
02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Greg:

Thanks. I've cut them down before too, but when they're really big like mine are (having skipped a season of shearing), it is a lot of work and the prospect of working over half a dozen big plants was not pleasant. I was looking for a shortcut. I've burned one clump as an experiment--it now looks pretty pitiful. We'll see if any green stuff emerges in the coming weeks.

Bob