PDA

View Full Version : scale on Fremontodendrum calif.

Anonymous
12-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I have an 8 year old Fremontodendrum calif., about 8' high w/ 12' spread, which has scale, brought on by ants I think. I am in inland Orage County foothills; the plant gets no irrigation. How dangerous is the scale to the plant? Any suggestions for how/whether to treat it?

Thanks Sarah S.
gfsark@cox.net

Jeff
01-02-2004, 09:45 AM
You can kill the exotic invasive Argentine ants' queen with a boric acid based bait/poison. Use plenty & get them all. I don't believe this is harmful to other creatures if used properly. Ant farmed scale can indeed damage some plants badly in my experience.

ireneh
01-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Sarah:

I'm running into much the same problem, even on unirrigated plantings. I'm beginning to seriously think that Argentine ants are one of our most serious environmental threats, but if you can control the ants, you usually get the scale. Paul's suggestions should help. I also use Grant's stakes, combined with Tanglefoot applied to the base of the trunk (on top of nursery tape, not directly on the bark). Make sure there are no other routes for the ants to get onto the bush, like branches from adjoining shrubs. I have controlled aphids, soft scale, and mealy scale this way. Good luck.