PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Sorrel

Anonymous
09-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I found some Redwood Sorrel growing in the creek park across the street from my house in Oakland. Having seen a lot of this up in Humbolt, I assumed that this was a very common plant. Someone recently told me, however, that this plant is very rarely found in the Bay Area, though it is suspected that it was pretty common 150 years ago before most of the Redwoods were cut down. I left a message with the 'Rare Plants' guy of the East Bay Chapter, but I was wondering if anyone else knew anything of it.

Joe Trapp</p>

Anonymous
09-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Joe -

Redwood sorrel is Oxalis oregana - the classic native groundcover under redwoods.

It used to be more common, because large redwoods and redwood forests were more common in the Bay Area. However, this plant is by no means rare, that I know of. I am assuming that in the remnant redwood forests of the East Bay, this oxalis still occurs. It also can grow in the wild under large Douglas firs.

Be sure your plant is the real O. oregana - exotic and sometimes weedy Oxalis species sometimes fool people.

Lori Hubbart</p>