PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Replacement with Muhlenbergia Rigens

Anonymous
09-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Hello All!

What with the fall soon to descend upon us and plant
sales not far away, this seemed like a good time
to seek some advise.

Is this a good native candidate for my intended project?
These areas I don`t want to have to mow and water
as much as I do now. Our water district just raised
prices 25%.

The area[s] I`m planning on replacing are as follows:

Area #I is a 40` X 10` rectangle and faces East.

Area #II is 'cone-shaped'. At one end the lawn is
8` wide, at the middle it`s 12`, the end is 20`. The
length is a little over 100`. This area faces Southeast
and gets early morning sun; after 10 A.M., dappled
sunlight until 3 or 4 P.M.

I`ll be doing this project myself. Should it be
done in stages? Will the larger area sustain
native grasses with it`s part sun exposure?

Should I utilize several grasses/plants[?] to make things more
interesting? My wife loves anything growing that shows
colors of lavendar and purple in them. Me? I favor
natives for aroma and bug, beetle and butterfly hosts & habitats.

I don`t want to muck this project up, so please feel free
to tell me what to do-where to go.

All suggestion will be most gratefully received!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

AlainUSDA #9bSunset #19
South of Palomar Mountain

</p>

Anonymous
09-14-2003, 07:34 PM
&lt;p>The [OLD] Discussion Board seems to be grouping replies with the wrong subject, but here I go. I think you will find it difficult to mow deer grass at all. The clumps it forms are pretty large and thick. The seed heads are a major part of its beauty, which would be lost through mowing. You might try some other bunch grasses. Check out the discussion board for previous discussions on this topic in the last year. That said, I find deer grass grows pretty well with full sun and heat. I cut it down each winter, as close to the ground as possible. Its so thick that its pretty tough to get it below 12' from the ground Most winters when I cut it back, I find quite of number of lady bugs nesting in the clumps. Each year, I get several volunteers from each plant.&lt;/p>&lt;!--webbot BOT="FormInsertHere" -->&lt;!--webbot BOT="Include" U-Include="../_borders/disc5_aftr.htm" startspan -->

&lt;p>&lt;/p>

Jeff
12-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, how's it coming alnog? Muhlenbergia is a really tall grass, do you plan to be able to walk on the new meadow or just look at it? Red Fescue & Carex pansa are a couple of possible lawn substitutes though both will probably need a little bit of water. Yarrow is nice and can even be mowed if you like. Plus it smells good and makes showy bug-friendly flowers! It sounds like you are very close to the coast, You might consider a coastal scrub planting with Lupines, Coyote Brush, Lizard Tail (Eriophyllum), etc.

ireneh
01-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi Alain:

I just registered for the new bulletin board. Seems much more versatile, though I have to get used to using it. Anyway, if you haven't planted the muhlies yet, you might want to consider some of the suggested plants if you plan on walking on it at all (unless you are the Jolly Green Giant!). The deer grass is great for creating a dramatic planting, but you would only want to cut it back once per year and enjoy its 6 foot flower stalks. Carex praegicilis (filed sedge) is a lot like Carex pansa and I know they carry it at Las Pilitas. They max out at about 6" high and I plant it about 8-12" O.C. Yarrow is good too. Hope this is helpful.