PDA

View Full Version : Poison Oak

Anonymous
07-25-2003, 11:21 AM
I am using poison oak toxicodendron diversilobum and morning glory calystegia macroistegia in a `sort of` topiary - the shapes that I am using go-with the plants and the plants will overtake the shapes in time I hope - since they are in containers. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the specific growing habits of poison oak - I know what it does in general and I am actively observing several different specimens in the wild. I would like to know how or if the axillary growth is stimulated. Any resources on poison oak natural history would also be appreciated.</p>

</p>

Anonymous
08-18-2003, 07:28 AM
Eric -

Well, not too many people have grown poison oak as a container plant for any length of time. It is usually grown for restoration purposes in grow-tubes, and planted out as quickly as possible.

I`m not sure how well it will do in a container, as it has VERY extensive roots. These include surface, running roots, plus 'sinker' roots that go straight down.

There was an article on poison oak and its virtues it has many in Pacific Horticulture some years ago. I think Bob Hornback of Muchas Grasses wrote it, but I`m not sure. I don`t have the year or issue number, but maybe someone at the Pac. Hort. office could help you find it.

Good luck,

Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
08-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Poison Oak is nutty stuff, it can grow in any number of shapes as a shrub, ground cover or tall vine.</p>

Anonymous
09-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Poison Oak is nutty stuff, it can grow in any number of shapes as a shrub, ground cover or tall vine.</p>