PDA

View Full Version : Early flowering native bulbs?

Anonymous
07-18-2003, 06:15 AM
I have a lawn now of blue grama, that won`t green up until spring is underway. What are some good native bulbs that would bloom before the grass starts growing tall? I can only find reference to crocus and other bulbs like that. The area gets full sun all day.

--Carolyn
</p>

Anonymous
08-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Carolyn -

That`s a really good question. I can`t think of any native fall-flowering bulbs. This is because late summer and fall are the dormant period for Cal-Natives.

Slinkpod, Scoliopus bigelovii, will bloom in January, but that`s the earliest bulb I can think of. You might be better off with some of the later flowering daisies like Aster Chilensis which comes in a lower-growing form. The lack of replies to your question indicates that no one else could think of an early-flowering native bulb, either. Maybe there is something that I`m overlooking.

As the great plantsman, Marshall Olbrich, once said, nature, as well as the nurseryman, does not always give us the plants we want.

Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
08-28-2003, 03:03 PM
You might try perusing this list:
http://www.edgehill.net/fall-bloom.htm

The only thing that pops into my mind for early bloom is Buttercups Ranunculus which isn`t a bulb but goes well in a meadow & reblooms in summer. Another thought is Soaproot Chlorogalum which doesn`t bloom early but makes a pretty spike of sword leaves after the first rains and dies back in summer.</p>