PDA

View Full Version : Lupinus Arboreus

Anonymous
07-01-2003, 08:36 AM
I planted a bush lupine last summer and this year it really took off. Lots of blooms. Lots of leaves. But now, afte the bloom, it is dropping leaves like crazy. I`d say Half are gone, on a bush that is about 5 feet wide and 3.5 feet high. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave</p>

Anonymous
07-04-2003, 08:31 AM
I don`t think so. As I recall, mine maintained its fresh gray-green leaves. My experience with the plant was about 15 years ago. It grew vigorously, in fact it reseeded and spread around quite a bit. It always got catepillars on the stem tips, so I ended the experiment and pulled them out. The silver bush lupine wasn`t as susceptible to the catepillars, I kept it. It rarely gave volunteers. I live in a different house now, and planted another silver bush lupine. Right now its sliver-green leaves are stunning, and it should stay -- no significant leaf drop.</p>

Anonymous
07-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Steven Goetz points out that Lupinus albifrons silver bush lupine is longer lived and may need different care than the coast bush lupine.

Lupinus arboreus can lose its leaves from too much water, or from a sudden hot spell. It seems to depend, too, on where you are. In San Mateo County, both lupines are native, and grow well, though I`m not sure how well L. albifrons would do right on the coast. On the other hand, coastal L. arboreus may not do well in hot, inland areas, no matter how you coddle it.

Get plants or seeds from your area, or somewhere as close as possible with a similar climate.

Good luck,

Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Thank you both. It is gets hot in my back yard. The front of the house blocks the wind, which makes my back yard like a hot house. That is great for some things, but not others. I will also cut back on the water. I suspect that I will have to replant, though, with L. Albifrons. Thanks again.</p>