PDA

View Full Version : Cupressus forbesii

Anonymous
06-13-2003, 04:37 PM
I have a cupressus forbesii and want to grow more from seeds. When can I gather the seed pods it has 3/4 inch diameter pods now and can you recommend book for propagating this tree.</p>

Anonymous
06-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Andrew,
Growth of cypress seeds is a bit on the 'ify' side. Dara Emery`s book, Seed Propagation of native california plants says that cypress are generally low in percentage of viable seed. I was recently up in Coal Canyon Orange county and saw thousands of Tecate Cypress seedlings erupting in the first spring following a fire. I am not sure what effect fire has or whether it was just the sudden sunlight on a large seed bank, but there is not a lack of seedlings up there.
Dara does say that about a mounths stratification improves uniformity of germanation. So unless you read or hear otherwise you could give it a shot come the fall/winter.
Best-Dan</p>

Anonymous
09-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi Alain:

We do lawn substitutes with Carex praegacilis and Achillea lanulosa. Muhlenbergia is great for the edges, but is too large for mowing. You can also use Blue Gramma. All will require some water, but usually less than half to a third of what a lawn needs. You can add colorful perennials around the edges, like Solidago, Mimulus, Stachys, Sisyrinchium, and/or Lobelia. Hope this helps.</p>