PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jeans Ceanothus does not flower

Anonymous
05-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Hello, It is now May and still my Blue Jeans Ceanothus has not bloomed! This is its second summer and it seems to be doing quite well otherwise. It is growing and looking good. Any thoughts on why it has not produced any flowers? </p>

Anonymous
05-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Deborah - First of all, in what part of California do you live? It may be that the cultivar, `Blue Jeans`, does better in some regions than in others. It may be a young plant, not ready to bloom yet, though this would be odd for a cutting-grown plant like `Blue Jeans`. I have to wonder if your soil may be deficient in phosphorus, the major nutrient needed by plants to make flowers. If there are other plants in that same area of your garden blooming just fine, then that would seem to rule out the phosphorus hypothesis. Maybe there is an underlying pathology specific to that one plant. Alas, plant diseases can sometimes thrive in nurseries, and some viruses, for example are not real obvious. I`m not sure how you would get your plant tested for diseases. Certainly if it has not flowered by next spring, you will have to aggressively look for the cause. Good luck, Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
05-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Thank you Lori for your thoughts. I will continue to be patient for the time being. </p>

Anonymous
05-22-2003, 08:05 AM
I use `Blue Jeans` extensively in my designs because of its ability to tolerate near garden conditions, making it a good choice for Baccharis covered fire-resistant slopes at wildland interfaces. Most of mine did not bloom this year, either. We have had such a strange Spring, I`m thinking that there may not have been enough diurnal temperature fluctuation to stimulate blooming. The ones that did bloom for us did so back in March and were mainly located in inland areas. Also, if you are really pushing your ceanothus with water and/or nutrition, it is not unusual for the plant to take several years to bloom after planting. I have had a Sierra Blue in an area where it is at the edge of a higher water area for over 3 years, and it has yet to bloom as well. I basically like Lori`s suggestion to sit tight for now. Hope this helps.</p>

Anonymous
05-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Greg, Your thoughts are most stimulating. The point you make about the early warming period this winter, followed by a cool wet period, really could have something to do with this. Since the plant is doing well, I will just look ahead to next year. Thanks, Deb Dobish</p>