PDA

View Full Version : Native fern for a shady front door entry

Anonymous
05-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I have some Yerba Buena growing in a pot, and I think I want to add a fern to it. I live in San Francisco in a fog belt, and the entry way faces east, so there is a little direct sun once in a while, but not often. I was considering Dryopteris Arguta, Coastal Wood Fern. Does anyone have experience with how this one will do in a container? </p>

Anonymous
05-05-2003, 05:27 AM
Galen - Dryopteris arguta should do fine as a companion for yerba buena. They both grow in drier shade than some of our forest plants, though they will need regular water in a container. Just make sure your container is wide enough to accommodate the fern`s spreading root system. Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
05-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. The container is 24 inches in diameter. Is that large enough? Galen</p>

Anonymous
05-12-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree with the combination. It sounds great. I had a wood fern volunteer in a stag-horn fern, which hung on a wall above another wood fern. A watered the stag-horn fern maybe once a month. You should find the wood fern to be pretty tough.</p>

Anonymous
05-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I agree with the combination. It sounds great. I had a wood fern volunteer in a stag-horn fern, which hung on a wall above another wood fern. A watered the stag-horn fern maybe once a month. You should find the wood fern to be pretty tough.</p>