PDA

View Full Version : Need a ground cover recommendation

Anonymous
05-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I want to replace my lawn with a ground cover that can be walked on, doesn`t need to be mowed & hopefully won`t need watering once established. I have full sun, sandy soil & live in Sunset Mag`s zone 22. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!</p>

Anonymous
05-02-2003, 11:17 AM
Diane, You may wish to explore the many rather indepth articles/responses to just that question by hitting the search key at the top. Select headings such as groundcover, or lawn substitute, etc. You will be granted a plethora of information as i recall past extensive recommendations being made. Best-Dan</p>

Anonymous
05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Fragaria chiloensis, Beach or Coast Strawberry, is the only thing that comes to mind. It takes only light foot traffic, but grows thick and very low to the ground. A perennial, but tends toward evergreen. Drought tolerant, but can handle some water. Subject to mites and several fungi, especially if overwatered. Good sized white flower, March through August, and large fruit. Fast growing, typical strawberry leaves, dark green on long stringlike runners which stop to produce rooting plantlets and string out again. Wants sun on the coast but give part shade inland. Native to Coastal Strand and North Coastal Scrub communities from San Luis Obispo County north. </p>

Anonymous
05-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Carex pansa, hands down. Other monocots are worth considering such as creeping red fescue, buffalo grass and blue grama. I would go with carex pansa</p>