PDA

View Full Version : Native trees

Anonymous
04-08-2003, 07:00 AM
I would like some recomendations on native trees. I would like to plant a black oak for its beauty through the seasons, but live in Rancho Murieta 20 miles south-east of Sacramento. Will this tree tolerate our long hot summers. I have a native garden that is irrigated, but only as a supplement to rainfall long waterings, once or twice a month in the summer. If the black oak is not a good idea, please recomend another native tree that would be better. I would also like a grove of small trees as part of a native grass and perennial meadow, and was thinking betula occidentialis would work. Any information on the two species mentioned would be helpfull.</p>

Anonymous
04-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Paula - With the sometime exception of valley oak, our native oaks do best with no summer water. They should be planted out in fall, and maybe given some water during their first summer. The idea is to get them adapted to their natural wet winter, dry summer regime as soon as possible. You might check with the Sacramento Chapter of CNPS to find out which oaks do best in your area. As for Betula occidentalis, it is called water birch, and grows along running streams. I`v seen it used in landscapes successfully in the mountains looks great, but plants there get a lot of running water in the form of snowmelt. Again, local native plant experts are your best bet. Hope this helps, Lori Hubbart</p>