PDA

View Full Version : New Garden

Anonymous
03-15-2003, 04:14 PM
I have just bought a new house in the old Fort Ord area close to Monterey. The garden is mainly sandy with some patches of scrappy grass and a patch of ice plant. I`d like to create a garden of a variety of native plants. Can anyone make a suggestion what to plant, where to get the plants, or a resource for me to find the information? Thanks, Ken.</p>

Anonymous
03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Ken-the very best source I have come upon and use extensively is the native garden design software associated with Las Pilitas Nursery. It is linked to the nursery`s site www.laspilitas.com and also can be accessed directly at www.mynativeplants.com. Simply put in your zip code, watering schedule, site parameters, and mulch probably none in this case and it will display a list of native plants appropriate to your site. You can then click on each species to get a description and color picture of the plant. I have found the list to be about 80-90% accurate, with few glitches. There are also a few good books, including Marjorie Schmidt`s book, Bob Perry`s book, and the Wasowski`s 'Native Plants from El Paso to L.A.'. I think Native Sons nursery may also be in your area, and I know Las Pilitas does mail order as well. I hope this helps.</p>

Anonymous
03-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks so much for the reply. I have checked the site and it excellent. My options are under consideration. Thanks again.</p>

Anonymous
03-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Ken - You might also want to visit the Lester Rowntree Arboretum, which is near Carmel, I believe. If the Monterey Bay Chapter of CNPS has a spring plant sale, that would be a great source for plants that do well in your area, as well as advice about local growing conditions. Good luck, Lori Hubbart</p>