PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Kevin Connelly?

Anonymous
02-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Does anybody have any idea whatever happened to Kevin Connelly? He was responsible for the wildflower hill at Theodore Payne, started and maintained a beautiful native demonstration garden in Pasadena, and then literally disappeared off the face of the earth right about the time Elna Bakker died. No one that I know of has heard from him since. He was an important early mentor for me, and certainly taught me how to do wildflower gardens. He had written several books pertaining to wildflower gardens. Are you out there Kevin? Anyone can feel free to respond by e-mail if you prefer.</p>

Anonymous
02-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Greg - It will be interesting if you hear from Kevin Connolly. I never met him, but admired his work and his writing. The story I heard is that he threatened to 'disappear into the desert' and claimed to know lots of places - caves and such - where his body would never be found. If he made good on his threat, then yes, he literally dropped off the face of the earth. Not having met him, I don`t know how he got to the state of wanting to end it all. Who knows? Maybe he went off and assumed a new identity somewhere. It`s a sad thing, though, isn`t it? He touched many people through his work with native plants. Sometimes we just don`t connect with people, or think we don`t. Sometimes art, or music, or writing or even gardening turn out to be our most effective ways of reaching out to people. That may not be enough to keep some people going. Lori Hubbart</p>

Anonymous
02-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Here`s a Kevin Connelly who made a drastic change from agronomy to linguistics-could this be the person you are looking for? He has a post-doc at one of the UC`s. To see this posting, look at : http://www.ucop.edu/acadadv/ppfp/p-hums.html Kevin A. Connelly Education: B.S., Cornell University 1978, Agronomy/Soil Science, M.S., Cornell University, 1993 Linguistics; Ph.D., Cornell University 1999 Linguistics Dissertation: The textual function of Onondaga aspect, mood, and tense: A journey into Onondaga conceptual space Thesis Advisor: Linda R. Waugh, Professor of English, University of Arizona Research Topic: American Indian Language Revitalization: Aspect, Space, and Pedagogy Mentor: Leanne Hinton, Professor of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley Current Position: Independent Research </p>

Anonymous
02-28-2003, 06:22 PM
I wonder. I`ll have to check if his middle initial is an A. I didn`t know anything of his possibly attending Cornell - I`ll try contacting this person as well. Thanks for your research.</p>