PDA

View Full Version : Helping new native get established

patricklannan
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I have started to grow natives in the garden here in Hayward, the East Bay. And I am told that they will need more water in order to get established in the first 1 - 3 years.

But, I have also planted some species that can rot if their roots get wet in the summer -- Ranunculus californicus, Romanzoffia californica

I also have a few that can go dormant in the summer. . .

So, here are my questions:
Do I need to keep up with summer water until these plants get established?
Do I need to keep the summer water infrequent so their roots have a chance to catch their breath between waterings?
Does a plant need to be established in order to survive dormancy in a California summer? Or can I let those that have been in the ground all winter go dormant this year?
we had a dry winter with a few cold snaps, does that mean they'll need anything special?

I know that things can depend on region, local conditions, the size of the plants, individual species and all of that. So, if anyone can offer some basics for beginners, that would be great.

carolynmartus
03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
If you need help - you need to give a lot more info. Where are you in California? And tell us a little bit more about your garden. In general you should 'zone' your garden - planting plants with like needs together to avoid problems such as watering one plant and killing the one next to it. I reccomend you pick up a copy of "California Native Plants for the Garden" and "Care and maintenance of So. Cal. Native Plant Gardens" both available through cnps.org - and don't forget to read the books too, you'll find them to be an invaluable resource!