PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer for Natives?

Dan
12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, i have just been involved in a large amount of emails regarding what an (evironmentally) responsible position regarding the use of fertilizer on natives should be, or even if fertilizer is needed. What do you think?
After a thread gets going (if it gets going, this is one sleepy village!) i will post some of the ideas garnered from some really good native plant people. But i would like to hear your opinions and experiences first.
thanks-Dan

otterdad
01-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I have had a virtually 100% native garden for over 5 years and have never used fertilzer. The plants are generally vigourous and healthy. Naives should not need fertilizer in the ground.

I have added fertilizer to containers when I propagate. I do this in part because I see evidence of fertilizer in the containers when I buy plants at the local native nursery and in part from the awareness that the soil in containers is not rich enough to sustain my babies for the time it takes to develop roots.

That said, natives should get all they need from the native soil in which they grow.

Jim

William
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree with Otterdad. I'm inclined to believe that if I need fertilizer I should think again about whether that plant belongs in my garden.