Statewide Vegetation Mapping Links
Below is a list of links for vegetation mapping approaches and collaborative projects in California. CNPS has become involved many of these efforts to map vegetation in a detailed and standardized manner.
For Cooperative Vegetation and Habitat Mapping and
Classification 5/24/00 -- Provides for a standardized
approach to vegetation mapping for all agencies and
organizations (PDF, 73k)
Notes on Vegetation MOU 7/13/00 -- Explains the purpose
and implementation of the 5/24/00 MOU (PDF,
- USGS-NPS Vegetation Mapping Program -- A cooperative effort to classify, describe, and map vegetation communities in national park units across the United States.
- California Vegetation Map Catalog -- An online catalog of maps provided by the Department of Fish and Game's developed in partnership with the Information Center for the Environment.
- Historic Vegetation Mapping -- A link to the Weislander Vegetation Type Mapping project, a major effort undertaken to view and download historic maps, surveys, and photographs taken in the 1920’s and 1930’s for almost half of California.
Vegetation Classification and Mapping Program -- A program within the California Department of Fish and Game that supports statewide Vegetation Classification and Mapping (VegCAMP)
- Fire and Resource Assessment Program -- A program within the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection including information and spatial data on environmental indicators, fire threat, watersheds, forests and rangelands
- Remote Sensing Lab, Ecosystem Planning -- A cooperative mapping and resource assessment program of US Forest Service including CalVeg mapping and classification data